Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Wool and Mink

Well these are definitely not the prettiest socks in my drawer. But they are certainly the warmest. I had this yarn laying around the house and I wanted to see if I could knit and also enjoy making socks. Well yes to both! Although not very pretty they will be wonderfully warm this winter paired up with my boots. In fact I enjoyed making these so much that....... I have started another pair! With the temperatures starting to warm up here I find sock knitting much nicer to do right now than my big ripple blanket. It is going to get just a bit to warm to sit under my ripple while crocheting it. As you know I do so love knitting with thin yarn. So making socks with this type of yarn is just so much fun. I have started off with a very plain pattern but as time goes on I am hoping to get a bit more fancy.

Now for the Mink part, I bet you are all wondering what I am talking about. No I didn't knit a pair of mink socks! But we did see...... this wonderful little Mink down by the river while walking. Isn't he wonderful! He was happily rolling about on the bank in the sun. We also watched as he went back into the river and nabbed a fish for lunch. This is the first time we have seen a Mink while out walking. I hope he sticks around. We also saw a mommy Wood duck and her babies. She was being very protective of them and kept them all very close to her.

Now I am off to catch up on all the things that were put on the back burner while we were enjoying our long July 4th weekend.

Have a super Tuesday!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knitted socks always make me smile and think of my Mum. When I had my first child she declared that she was going to knit a pair of socks. Well I had 3 children in the course of time and she knitted ----- 1 sock!! She was a wonderful Grandma in every other way though

annemarie said...

Oh how I envy you knitting socks. Those double pointed needles really intimidate me! Nothing beats a warm pair of socks when your feet are cold! I do not think I have ever seen a mink - very interesting. Hope you are having a great week.

Sue said...

I thought the first pair of socks were made of wool and mink. Those would be warm.

The little mink is very handsome. I hope he stays well away from Mama Duck and her little family.

It's been so hot here that I wouldn't want to be knitting a big blanket, though I do want to start one when the weather cooperates.

Terri Fisher said...

I think your socks are great! I really like the mix of colors on the yarn. Kind of looks like tie-dye. Great photos of the mink...that is so cool!

gMarie said...

fabulous socks - won't be long until you're feeling adventurous! enjoy. g

Bethany said...

Your socks look so comfortable!!! I can't believe I'm saying that in 100 degree weather right now... but you'll love them this winter! I also can't believe you saw a mink in the wild! I hate to say it but he looks like my Grandma's stole (oooh!! boo!)

hetty said...

I have always knitted socks. I just love them, especially in the summer when it is too hot to even wear them. Then in the winter they will have all that warm summer goodness knitted right into them. I don't think I have ever seen a mink, but I was scared out of my wits one time while canoeing in Algonquin Park, when three otters dove into the water right beside our canoe.

Twiggy said...

The only reason I wish I could knit would be to make my own cosy socks!
cute pics !
twiggy x

Handmade in Israel said...

I can't even think about socks with the temperatures we currently have here, lol! Love that mink though and adore the family of ducks - one of my favorite things to spot out in the wild :)

Jojo Caramel said...

Wonderful pair of socks! A mink? Did you try to catch it? ;-) I've never seen one. You live in a fantastic place! I hope you have had a Happy 4th July!

iSew said...

Wow!! I'm not sure I would have even known that was a mink if I'd seen it. haha

I love knitting socks!! Have fun.

periwinkle said...

well done on the socks - I plan to make some as Christmas pressies so I better get a wriggle on . Wow , well done on the mink spotting ,

The sewing room said...

Thank you for your positive message,it means a lot to me,l would still like to continue with the swap but l might be a bit late, my e mail address is family300l@aol.com

Hugs Pat