Sunday, November 9, 2008

Rainbows and Baking


It was a drizzly dreary grey weekend, and I really didn't feel like doing much of anything, and then this appeared and suddenly it didn't seen quite so dreary anymore.
So off I went to the kitchen and did some baking, I decided to make a family favorite, Apricot White Chocolate Almond Biscotti. I believe the recipe came from my sister-in-law and we have enjoyed it for years. It is a bit of a long winded recipe but here it is if you would like to try it.Ingredients

2 3/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3 1/2 ounces imported white chocolate (such as Lindt) cut into pieces, I often use white chocolate chips
1 2/3 cups whole almonds, toasted
2 large eggs
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon apricot flavored brandy
2 teaspoons almond extract
1-6 ounce package of dried apricots, dicedLine an 18x12x1 inch cookie sheet with foil, butter and flour foil.Combine the first 6 ingredients in a food processor, process until a fine meal forms.Next add the chocolate or the chocolate chips and process til finely chopped Then add the toasted almonds and chop coarsely..Beat eggs, brandy and extract in a large bowl. Add flour mixture and apricots and mix til a moist dough forms.Divide dough into three 2 inch wide strips, refrigerate the dough for thirty minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake dough for about 30 minutes or til golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. Cut logs crosswise into 3/4 inch wide slices and place on a cookie sheet, bake ten minutes, turn biscotti over and bake ten minutes more. Allow to cool, then biscotti can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks, Phew! I told you it was a bit long...hope you enjoy.

Finally apologies for those of you that wanted to see inside my new books, because today's post was quite long I will post pics of the books tomorrow...hope I am forgiven!

9 comments:

Handmade in Israel said...

Wow! Look at that rainbow. Fantastic! The biscotti look yummy too. Do you have any left??

Anonymous said...

Good Lord Kathy ! Your Biscotti !!!!
Thanks for the recipe :) I like your Food processor very much :)
Hae a lovely Monday :)

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I must make up some of your biscotti for Christmas gifts - anything with lindt chocolate has to be good.

Anonymous said...

we've had a few rainbows too but nowhere near as gorgeous as that one
lisa x

Layla said...

Mmmmmmmm ... I have tried this biscotti and I can vouch for how yummy it is! I would have come by to enjoy some but I have a new-found addition to alcohol ink glass ornaments and can't stop making them! I wish I didn't have to go to work today!

Anonymous said...

This post has me wanting to flex my baking muscle! Jen

Esther said...

they look delicious, much better than my pumpkin muffin disaster! Not quite sure what a cup measurement is LOL!

Bethany said...

This is so weird... I was just thinking about biscotti this morning while drinking my coffee and craving it!! I will print out this post and maybe this weekend I can give it a try! Thank You!!!

Louise said...

Lovely with a latte! x