Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Down but not Defeated!


Sacroiliac Joint Inflammation has been my not so nice friend for the past two weeks. It makes it quite difficult to sit or lay comfortably. Hence no bloggy posts from me for a while. Bending to put on socks or shoes usually takes a good five minutes and a few choice words. Not to worry though with the help of my wonderful chiropractor I am finally on the mend.

How did that happen you might wonder. I would like to say that it happened while I was sky diving in Hawaii. Or when I was bungee jumping off the San Fransisco Bridge. I am afraid it was nothing quite that glamorous. I was bending down one morning to put on my underwear and I felt a funny little zing in my lower back. It really didn't hurt that much but by days end I was looking like a gorilla trying to walk upright.
With the help also of some not so lovely smelling creams I finally look like a human again.
I am not very good at sitting around doing nothing. I tend to drive me and hubby crazy. So I started a hexagon lap throw. At least thank goodness my brain and fingers still worked OK. It is quite amazing how doing something helps you to forget about the pain for a little while.Of course right in the middle of all this the rest of my fabric came to add to my colorful squares quilt. I was sorely tempted to go and sit at my machine a while but I didn't want to undo all the progress that I had made with my back. So patient I will be... ho hum.We still on occasion get some snow and pretty cold temperatures. All kinds of little birds are flocking into our garden. We have the feeding station set up next to our pine tee. They love using the tree for shelter from the cold and wind.The amount of bird food and suet we go through is quite astonishing. But it makes us feel really good that we can help them through the winter.Hector our little hummingbird still comes to the feeder and still puts up a fight if any other hummingbird tries to use it. I wonder how long he will be with us.

Well I have typed all this out while I have been standing up and my legs are getting just a bit tired.

Have a great day everyone.
I'll be back soon!

11 comments:

periwinkle said...

Oh dear , I hope those not so nice smelling creams do their job and you're feeling better soon. Lovely hexagons on the go , at least you can sit and hand sew these whilst watching those gorgeous birds.

Sue said...

It is amazing how much those tiny creatures can eat. Of course, ours get lots of hep from the family of squirrels and Samba who has taken to eating bird seed because she's convinced I'm starving her.

I do hope the back is feeling better soon. I did that picking up an empty laundry basket one time. It sure doesn't take much.

annemarie said...

I am so sorry that you are in pain - back pain is nothing to mess around with. Hope you will soon be back to normal. The hexagons are so lovely!

The sewing room said...

I knows how you feel,l suffer with arthritus in most of my joints but with medication l can still cope well most days. I hope you get better soon, l get frustrated too if l can not craft, l do not like to sit still for to long. Those little birds must be very grateful to you for all the lovely food you provide them with. Take care dear friend l am sending you healing vibes.

Hugs Pat

Terri Fisher said...

Oh, my. I hope you are feeling better soon. I can relate somewhat b/c I often have back pain due to a disc issue. It's not fun. I'm glad you found something to keep you busy. Get well soon!

hetty said...

Sorry to hear about your pain. Hope you are better soon. I love your hexies! How big are they?

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I hope that you feel a bit better today! I love your hexagon quilt! It's very very nice! You'll have to be patient! I know you have a wonderful Swiss sewing machine, and you want to play with it, it's natural, but be patient :) Bernina are very patient and will wait of you to be ready for sewing :)

Take care of yourself!!!

Anonymous said...

Oups : will wait FOR you...

Handmade in Israel said...

Oh! I wondered where you'd got to! Feel better soon! I adore that hummingbird... :)

Bethany said...

Oh no... I do hope you're feeling better soon! I have a crabby lower back and I know what that feels like. Please take it easy and heal. Your quilt is beautiful... I am really loving the hexagons! The hummingbird reminded me of one that visited my dad's house... I think it came back year after year! It knew the feeder too. Great photos as always!!

Louise said...

I suffer from lower back spasms, followed by pain. I'm interested to read up more about this condition. Thanks for hightlighting it Kathy. I hope you are on the road to recovery by now. I feel I know some of what you are going through. I've clicked on your bird photos to enlarge. The birds in your garden are just so beautiful. x