Friday, March 25, 2011

Wolf Haven


About two weeks ago my husband was lucky enough to go on a photography tour at a wonderful place called Wolf Haven. It is about 25 miles south of us in Tenino, Washington. I say lucky enough because there are only two photography tours a year. One in January and the other in March. The tours are limited to winter time because as we later found out that is when wolves are the most active. They set off after breakfast at around 9 am. On the tours there is a guide and a professional photographer. My goodness what a day he had. I hope you enjoy his beautiful photos as much as I did.This is Bart.This is Cadeus. Cadeus was raised by humans as a pet which of course is never a good idea. He was turned over to Wolf Haven when he just got to big and a bit unmanageable.This photo with one of the people on the tour will give you some idea of his size. He still enjoys humans and hubby was lucky enough to get slobbered on. He returned the greeting with a tummy rub.This is Spruce and Cricket, brother and sister.
This is Ladyhawk.

Want to howl with the wolves? Yep, they even have Howl-Ins. You can howl to your hearts content. Pretty good way I think to get rid of the stresses of the day.

Wolf Haven is a lifetime sanctuary for wolves. Since 1982 they have been helping these wonderful creatures. Most of them are rescued from private ownership. So if you are thinking about owning a wolf.... don't!

As hubby was about to leave all the wolves got up and started howling. The end to a simply perfect day. I hope you have enjoyed hearing all about the wolves at Wolf Haven.
All the photos can be made larger if you click on them.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful photos and what a wonderful opportunity. Thank you so much for sharing such great photos
Kindest Regards Linad

Sue said...

What a wonderful place to visit. As you know Tsar and I howl on a regular basis and sometimes the others join in. Wish I could visit and hear the real pros howl.

periwinkle said...

oh my gosh - WOW ........ so beautiful

Unknown said...

These are fantastic pictures! We really enjoyed having Tom join the Amateur Photo Tour. Thanks for sharing these. Wolf Haven staff

annemarie said...

Beautiful photos - golly I would have been scared to death being that close to a wolf.

Terri Fisher said...

Wow! What a cool experience for your husband! The photos are awesome, too. What a neat place!

hetty said...

Fantastic photos! I have only heard wolves howl from a great distance when we were camping in northern Ontario. They are such wonderful creatures.

Anonymous said...

The photos are incredible and beautiful! These wolves are enormous! I did not know that such a place could exist, and it's incredible to read that they are rescued from private ownership. There was a fence between your husband and wolves? :)

TPC Photography said...

Thanks for posting this Kath, from me and on behalf of the wolves and the staff at Wolf Haven.

Thank you all for the kind comments about the pictures. I am so pleased at how well they turned out.

I had the most incredible time getting to learn about Wolf Haven and getting up close and personal with the wolves. They are truly amazing animals that, in my opinion, have gotten a bad reputation for simply being a predator (like so many other animals).

Oh, Annemarie - there's no reason to be scared being that close to a wolf in that environment. They're probably more scared of us than the other way around.

Tom (aka - Mr LizzieJane)

Handmade in Israel said...

Wonderful photos! Amazing animals.

Louise said...

Oh wow, what a great tour. I'd love to be led round by a pro photographer. Your hubby's photos are very good. They really do just wanna make you howl! x

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day! I hope you are fine :) xo

Bethany said...

What great photos! We have a wolf sanctuary about 20 minutes from our home and they are beautiful animals... but you're right! They are not pets! Makes you wonder if Jacob isn't lurking around there, huh?! ;)
Hope all is well with you there!

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy,
I feel like that kid on Willy Wonka and just want to stamp my foot and say "Want one! Want one now!"
Just absolutely beautiful, well done to your husband for taking such fabulous pictures. I think we have something ike this down south somewhere, near devon maybe - might have to check see if they do photography days.

Jenn Maruska said...

Beautiful photos - what majestic animals.
Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. I very much appreciate your kind words and well wishes. : )

Bettina said...

OMG!!!So lovely wolf!!
Your blog wonderful like always!!!=)

rental mobil said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Jakarta Hotel said...

I enjoy reading through your article post, I wanted to write a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation All the best for all your blogging efforts. Appreciate the recommendation! Let me try it out. Keep working ,great job!